Sunday 9 November 2014

Warning: This Post Contains GLITTER

Now I told you last week that now I'd tried the microfine glitters we'd just got in stock that I was glittering everything I could get my hands on........    Well, I have continued to play this weekend and have a couple of cards to share with the results.    I've also been playing with some of the restocked items from Lil' Inker Designs as I really must get on with my Christmas cards and for when I need to speed up I think the cover-plate dies will be just perfect!


For this first card I used the new snowflake coverplate die, 3 colours of glitter (cool diamond, silver and bluebell) and a very appropriately themed sentiment from the now back in stock Winter Greetings.  I cut the coverplate from the double-sided adhesive sheet and stuck it to some navy blue shimmer cardstock and then selectively added the different glitters over each snowflake - in hindsight, I would have been better using the white rather than cool diamond as that one glitter is more translucent than the solid coloured ones and the blue card therefore shows through making the colour less distinct than I'd like.  Lesson learnt.   Better that I make the mistakes so you don't have to though ;-)  The diamond glitters would be perfect to add glitter to coloured items so at least now we know what their different uses are....

I cut a flag from the same cardstock using the pinking edge sentiment flag dies (a great set of dies for larger sentiments) and stamped and embossed the fun sentiment from Winter Greetings first in white and then in a sparkle powder as clearly there just wasn't enough glitter on my project!

I also really love the Christmas coverplate die as I think you can make some super-quick last minute cards just using it on it's own, but I couldn't resist the chance to play with more glitter.......


For this one, again I used the double-sided adhesive with the die and stuck it straight to card base (it's really easy to do I promise - the intricate die cuts perfectly without shims) and then chose 3 shades of green glitter and went for an ombre look by simply sprinkling on the glitters one by one.  If you tip each colour of glitter off in the same direction (ie so it falls over the previous one and NOT on the clear adhesive) then nothing sticks where you don't want it and you can pop your glitters straight back in the tubs so nothing is wasted.

I could easily have stopped there as this design is perfect on its own - but I also think it would be a great background for Christmas images, so to contrast with my greens I coloured up the jolly Santa from Dear Santa in traditional red and popped him in the corner (leaving a white border helps him stand out against the busy background).  I love this Santa image as I think he looks a bit drunk, so you can use him on grown up cards and sas-up the sentiment ;-)

 


2 comments:

Tanja said...

no warning needed - I love glitter and your cards look fantastic

Unknown said...

Loooooove the glitter! I wish the mail would hurry up and get it to me already. Can't wait to make everything sparkle :)