Saturday 22 November 2014

Less Is More With Clear Embossing Powder

Some cards are so much fun to make and you’d have never guessed it before you started. This card is a shining (yes, pun intended) example of how you can use clear embossing powder, which is now also available at the Make The Day Special Stamp Store, to create stunning effects. I discovered this quite accidentally and I’m so happy I changed my original plan.


I sponged the background to create a wonderful cold winter night (using cold colors like dark blues and purple). Once I was done, I originally wanted to use golden Gilding Flakes on the stamped image, but after I lifted the stamp off and saw the effect I was already achieving with just the Versamark ink, I grabbed my clear embossing powder.


As you can see, the clear embossing powder changes the brightness of the underlying color a tiny bit and that’s all I needed. I wanted a very clean and simple card and I feel that’s exactly what I got with this technique. Also, very non-messy as long as you remember to heat set your background first and use an anti-static tool so the embossing powder won’t cling to it.

I intentionally made this huge snowy hill so it would take up most of the card. In total, including die cutting and getting out all the tools, this card took me about 20 minutes. Once you have everything out and ready, you could probably cut that in half, so this card would be perfect to mass produce. It’s the first time, really, I’m using Neat and Tangled products and I’m delighted.

1 comment:

Julia Dunnit said...

It's really pretty Julia, and gorgeous colours. I love it when you're in to the zone and can so successfully change tack like you did!