Sunday 19 October 2014

Getting Festive

So we heading towards Christmas at an alarming rate and I am so far behind on Christmas cards (this running a stamp store lark doesn't half cut into your crafting time you know!!!) so don't be surprised if you see a lot of Christmas cards from me on here for the next few Sundays!

I'm starting today with 2 using the new Wplus9 release which I just adore!  I have two styles too - a shaker card and then a much quicker CAS invite.

For the shaker card I've used Festive Greetings - anyone who knows me knows that I cannot pass a twinkly-light - they're my kryptonite so I knew I had to ink these up as soon as they arrived!  I wanted to give them a real twinkly feel so reached for acetate and stamped them using stazon jet black ink which is the best ink for acetate stamping.  Then I flipped it over so I could colour the lights with copics without the ink bleeding.  I added a little red glitter on the back too, and a white highlight on the front.


To make the shaker element I die cut 6 rectangles a white card and layered them up, added the acetate cut to fit and then put a layer of decorative paper from the Sleigh Bells pad on top to cover the acetate edges.  I stamped the sentiment on the base card in the centre and then masked it off before I went twinkly-light crazy around the edge of the base card.


I stamped the image repeatedly and coloured them with pencils in the same colours as the copics on the acetate but giving a slightly softer finish to ensure the centre panel popped.   Remove the mask, pile some little bits in the middle of the shaker and secure it with strong tape so it doesn't escape.   A fun card but not one you're going to want to mass produce!

So, I had a look at the other sets in the release and found one that would be PERFECT for mass production.  For that I turned to Snowflake Backdrops and I came up with a little card that would be fun to send as Christmas party invites.


I stamped the large background stamp in the gorgeous new winter ink from Mama Elephant - I have to say I'm not normally a pigment ink fan, I prefer dye inks, but these ink pads are just lovely to work with and the colours are superb.  The sentiment is made up from Jolly and Merry from Mama Elephant teamed with the hand lettered holiday die from Wplus9 which was given a double coat of Hero Arts silver embossing powder (btw did you know we also carry versamark ink now to get perfect embossing results).   I made this as invite, but you could easily switch it up and add Christmas after the Merry to make it into Christmas cards instead.






NEWS FROM THE STORE

OK so this will be brief as you got a full update in yesterday's newsletter (if you're not signed up for that, add your email to the box on the front page of the store - we don't do more than 2 newsletters a month so you won't get an inbox full of spam from us)

  • Mama Elephant - the penguins (we had 30 sets) sold out in 5 hours.  Really sorry - it's so hard to get things right on stock levels.   I have ordered lots of some sets which I thought would be popular and sold none of them, so I have to balance the risk as I can't afford to stockpile lots of stock which doesn't sell.  I will order them again as soon as possible providing Mama Elephant haven't sold out as well as they did with the Pandas when they came out.
  • Hero Arts White embossing powder.   I get Hero Arts products through a UK based distributor so I am reliant on what they have in stock - I ordered 12 but they only had 5 - again I will get them back as soon as they have them in stock.
  • Don't forget to stop by the store on Monday for the arrival of Waffle Flower and Newton's Nook.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Tara

2 comments:

victoria h said...

Love your cards. I was wondering about the ME inks especially as they are lovely colours.

Sarah G said...

Stunning, Tara! The acetate lights are fantastic - the shaker card looks great. I love the double embossing on the second card too, very luxurious :) Glad you had the chance to get crafty for a change!